Friday, June 5, 2009

When life gives you lemons...

There are an awful lot of sad folk in the world, aren't there? Some blogs that I read are so sad it breaks my heart. You may think that from all the frivolity that goes on in my blog that I'm without any sadness in my life, which would be incorrect. I've had bad times, so bad that I wonder how I got through. Times when I couldn't see a future, when I wouldn't be reasoned with, when I thought the whole world was conspiring against me.
When I was young, I had a 'devil may care' attitude. I was very positive, and to a degree, I think that my energy made lots of good things happen. Then you find yourself in a rut and if something is going to fall, it's going to fall on your big toe. In effect, you attract bad things – or seem to.
On reflection you see how your life has changed with your attitude. But you can turn it around.
In more recent times, I have taken it upon myself to turn my life around and focus on things that make me smile. Like this morning.
I was having a big clean up because I am having a very special guest for dinner. So I'm putting stuff away and I thought to myself, 'I could use some shelves'. When do we get to the age when shelving is an option? Whatever happened to 'shove it under the bed'? How on earth did I get to the point where shelving would make my life pleasant? When in the hell did I become my father? If ever I come home with Brylcream in my shopping bag, just shoot me. Just as a side note, I think my dad has had the same brylcream in his hair since 1954.
When I went out to get some goodies for the dinner tonight my car wouldn't start when I got back to it. Now, given my last experience with the roadside assist folk, and looking like a complete twit, I decided I wouldn't call them, I would instead walk the 15minutes to the next shop where I needed to purchase a slow cooker. Upon exiting the store with the slow cooker tucked under my arm because they didn't have a plastic bag big enough to fit, the only cloud in the sky decided to open up. And open up it did. By the time I got back to my car I was drenched, but my car was ready to start.
When crappy stuff happens, just remember the words of the great thinker Mont. E. Python who said 'Always look on the bright side of life'.
Have a wonderful weekend, and thank you Herrad for The Lemonade Award
http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-received-lemonade-award-from-rain.html


The acceptance of this comes with the privlige of passing it on to 10 others, and this is where I usually come unstuck because everyone I know already has all the awards and then some:

SquirrelQueen http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/2009/06/leaping-thoughts.html

Rae http://myweathervane.blogspot.com/2009/06/personal-aide_04.html

Lille Diane http://www.woodstocklily.com/2009/06/full-moon-rising-this-time-tomorrow.html

Myra http://hummingbirdinrehap.blogspot.com/2009/06/attack-rooster.html

coloradosugar http://coloradosugar.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-give-up.html?zx=377a2c10e0567b7e

Alicia http://blondeisthenewsmart.blogspot.com/2009/06/forty-and-fabulous.html

I only have 6 right now, but I have some more in mind, and when they start making lemonade from the lemons, I will pass it on

7 comments:

  1. Jase,
    It is easy to read someone's blog and only see one half of their personality. It is nice that you are so willing to share your good and your bad.

    I think you are a terrific person. Someone I like knowing and someone I call friend.

    This world is so big, yet I am glad it was made small enough for us to meet each other through blogging.

    Thank you for the award. It may take me a while to get the awards passed around.
    RAE

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains it pours but at least the car started when you got back. I have found that for the most part the sun is usually just behind that big nasty rain cloud waiting to break through.

    Congratulations on your award and I am honored to be included with such a great group of bloggers.

    You are easy going and down to earth, the type of person I enjoy talking to and calling a friend.

    Have a wonderful day and hopefully the car will start tomorrow,

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about lemons that makes me smile? Ohhhhhh yes....it's the sweet fact I have a new friend who has a tender side, and that to me, is the makins' of some mighty fine lemonade. Real men can laugh at themselves when a situation turns sour, and they are able to squeeze out a tear or two when life kicks back.

    Thank you, my friend, from down under. I could smell the Brylcream when I was reading your story but what I couldn't smell was what you had cooking in the slow cooker.... Hmmmm inquiring minds wanna know.

    I'm also honored to be in such great company for this award.

    ***Clink*** ahhhhh the sound of glasses filled with lemonade toasting life and blogger friendships. ***Clink-Clink***

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are all very welcome, and most deserving.

    I cooked silverside (corned beef) in the slow cooker, it was perfect. The night was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation to you, Jase. You have been an inspiration for me as well, to see the brighter side of life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this blog...I needed that.

    Glad you had a wonderful evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi darlin'

    I just wanted you to know I gave myself the Lemonade Award.... Crazy or WHAT???!!! Nah...at least I hope not.... unless of course it's crazy in a good way which is fun...

    I needed to remind myself that I CAN make lemonade out of lemons. I just had a lil set back (I'm turning it into a push ahead...) with PTSD and an experience I had over the weekend.... SO I awarded myself the award. I know you understand! Thank you, Jase.

    ReplyDelete