There were things in the pantry that were kind of 'adults only' because us kids (5 of us) 'wouldn't like them'. This usually turned out to be true when we tested the taboo items. Olives were one of my first soirée into the 'adults only' food arena, and I didn't like them and still don't. Probably because of that memory as a child. Worcestershire Sauce was another 'adults only' item, and it was called Black Sauce by my mother and Runny Sauce by my father whenever we were sent on a mission to fetch it from the pantry. The mission would also be passed down from (usually) Father to eldest child, who would pass the orders onto next eldest, and so on until it arrived at the youngest, me, who would also be then charged with the 'get me a drink while you're up' mission.
Worcestershire Sauce has the ability to make everything taste better. This says an awful lot about my mother's cooking because dad would splash it over every meal, and despite this fact, would never remember to get it out of the pantry before eating. Nor would the table setter remember to get it out and put it with the Red Sauce (Tomato) or the Brown Sauce (BBQ). We only got to have dinner in front of the telly on Saturday night, and this was a big deal for us because I got to put my plate on the floor and eat from there. So by the time I had completed the Runny Sauce Mission the dog had usually snatched my portion of meat and hightailed it out the back door with me running after it and my mum yelling 'leave it, you should have put your plate up'. Luckily there was always a little more left in the kitchen for me and my empty belly.
My current dogs would never take food off a plate, mainly because now when I go to get the black runny sauce I keep yelling 'I can see you, leave it alone', and here they are:
I would also like to pass on the 'one lovely blog' award to Rae. I really like the walks down memory lane http://myweathervane.blogspot.com/2009/05/place-i-know-best.html

Jase,
ReplyDeleteFirst I would like to say thank you for the award. It is nice of you to think of me. I have many old memories I would love to blog about but I am trying to space them out to avoid boring my followers.
Second - Your post is so funny. The only reason kids are born is to be fetchers for their parents. I love the black sauce and brown sauce and red sauce descriptions.
Third- I wish I could be there to hug your dogs.They both are adorable but you know my heart would be taken up by that black and white mischief maker. That face reminds me so much of my old dog. Almost 40 years later I still miss her as much.
Rae, they are the best dog and I think once a border has been in your life they stay in your heart forever
ReplyDeleteLove it! Haven't we all been there? I agree with Rae about the dogs. Sweet.
ReplyDeleteGood story, we all have been there. In fact I remember fetching the "black sauce" a time or two.
ReplyDeleteReally cute dogs.
SQ
Your dogs are so cute. But I have to agree with Rae as well. A border is just adorable.
ReplyDeleteHi Jase,
ReplyDeleteI too like worceseter sauce but have to have pepper sauce on just about everything even cheese sandwiches yummy!
Prefere pepper sauce from Trinidad.
Your dogs are gorgeous.
Have a great day.
Love,
Herrad
Mmmmmm....black sauce, pepper sauce, red sauce, cheese sammies, mischief makers... all are soooo deeeee-licious! Jase, you have a way with words. I am swept away by the way you write....and those sweet little puppy pies.
ReplyDeleteI laughed louder than the thunder cracking above my roof top tonight. Smiles are big here at the tree house.... you made me do it. :-) :-) :-)
Thanks very much for your comments, and the follow, Herrad.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have made my son a fetcher already and so far, he doesn't seem to mind :)
ReplyDeleteYour puppers are adorable!