This morning I had the pleasure of company in the shower. Not the sexy kind, rather it was the eight-legged kind. With regards to spiders, there are three kinds of people: Those who love them and want them for pets, those who tolerate them, and those (like me) who can't stand the wretched little things.
Luckily in NZ we don't have a host of critters that can kill you. In my home the worst kind of spider I have is the whitetail and I have no hesitation in killing them because they are not native to this country and they have a nasty reputation.
I decided that my shower companion this morning would live because it was a daddy long legs, and it was too cold for me to run naked for the spray, and whenever you flush something down the drain it tends to hover and float about in the water making you do a silly dance to avoid it and when it gets to the plug it's either too big to fit or it seems to hang on.
So I had the shower with one eye open so I could make sure it didn't land at my feet unexpectedly. I observed this awkward thing trying to hang on to the wall and it reminded me of one of those kids at high school who had reached puberty first and was all pimply, greasy and gangly. The kid who everyone was mean to, but you were civil to but didn't want them to touch you because they were just too hideous. The ones who had lunch in the library while you were out playing sport. The ones who, by now, probably own their own multi-billion dollar business.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Spiders are fine, outside. Really hate sharing a shower with one.
ReplyDeleteGood story, come over and check out my blogs when you get a chance.
SQ
I'm not real hip on spiders unless they are in those aquarium type things at the zoo. Then, I could stand there for hours watching them.
ReplyDeleteThe other day a brown recluse had made his way into our office. Good thing there was a guy around to kill it.