Even though at that time we were financially secure, very comfortable, in fact, huge spendings like that were typically a group decision. It was spontaneous. I couldn't help myself. I purchased her, a collar, leash, bed, brush, and an assortment of toys. She came with some free food so I didn't have to worry about that, and took her to her new home. Luckily the wife loved her.
I remember the early days when I would say that she couldn't sleep on our bed and she would cry and cry until my wife would have me convinced that it would only be for tonight and as soon as she was settled in her new home she would sleep in her own bed. That never happened.
She slept with us, curled up against my wife every night until my wife passed.
After a brief stint with my mum and dad, she was stuck with me.
I am fairly certain she didn't like me that much in the beginning, but we managed to form a close enough bond. Close enough for my lap to be her spot to sit, although I am fairly certain that if there was another lap about, she would have picked that one first.
She loved a walk, and for a wee thing she could go for miles. While my big dog would be off looking at stuff and smelling each blade of grass, the wee thing would be like a race horse with blinkers on. She knew where she was going and it was straight ahead and there was no stopping her from getting there. She used to like a swim until my big dog nearly drowned her, then she wasn't too keen on it anymore and would only go in the surf if she had protection. Probably second to walking, she loved guarding her treats. Every time I would go out to work or for food, I would bring them each home a treat. My big girl, Bella would gobble hers up and just wait for Maggie to be distracted for a second. But Mags would guard that treat like her life depended on it. I think it was more fun for her to guard it than to eat it. Television would sometimes distract her from her guard duty. She loved telly, especially any animal shows. I have no idea what I was watching here, but it caught her attention, and finding this picture made me remember her, and prompted this blog.
She belongs with my wife but for all of me, I'm just not ready to take her up there yet. Apart from her wedding ring, Maggie was the last of her possessions that I have. I'm just not ready for that yet. And I do know, given that I have had enough psych visits, that letting go of her will mean letting go of so much that has gone from my life this year.
She was a cute wee thing, and she made me smile even when she didn't want to go out to the toilet when it was raining.

jason...you will know when the time is right to lay maggie with your wife....take your time hun...no need to rush as the memories keep them close to your heart....reading this gave me a tear...i feel your pain as i too lost a loved pet not too long ago...xoxox thinking of you...tracey from facebook...(your aussie friend)
ReplyDeleteShe looks adorable. im sorry for you. :(
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteIt has been awhile since I visited many blogs.
Decided to do a quick visit to say hello to as many blogs as possible tonight..
Nice to visit your blog its been ages, I am sure it will not be so long again especially now my life is getting better.
I went out this afternoon for the first time since 19 August 2009 and it was brilliant.
Lovely to feel my world getting bigger again after all this time in bed.
Have a good evening and a pleasant day tomorrow.
Love,
Herrad
PS
Please visit Steve @ The Wheel Of Fortuna
http://spinfortunaswheel.blogspot.com/
Important we support him in the first weeks of his bereavement.
Hi Jase,
ReplyDeleteHow are you,hope to hear from you
Since I have been spending more time sitting in my wheelchair I have not been visiting.
Tonight I decided to visit.
I just passed by to say hello.
I hope you are doing well.
Love,
Herrad